This blog will make more sense if you read it from the bottom upwards!

Wednesday 12 May 2010

The Editing Process


Click on the picture to make it big and see my editing.

With a short piece of fiction, every single word counts. I've typed up this piece of writing, printed it out and read it through to myself, looking for words and phrases that are awkward and repetitive so I can cut them out. I've also added some more description, and made notes to myself about ideas I need to develop and descriptions I need to expand in order to give the story the atmosphere and emphasis that I want.

I'm also thinking about the layout of my story - this is part one of a story I plan to come in four parts, each part set in a different location and having a different photograph, sound or map to go with it. Each part will be round about 250 words long. This is a tight word limit so I'm going to need to be very careful that all my words are working hard.

How are you going about editing your story into the final version?

No comments:

Post a Comment